Why You Should Call The Pros About Rodents In Your Texarkana Home
November 13, 2020
Rodent infestations are so common, mice and rats are often the first pests that come to mind when we picture invasive and dangerous vermin. Their reputation as destroyers of property and spreader of disease is well-documented, so it pays to learn everything you can about them. Only by learning of the dangers and signs of a rodent infestation can you hope to prevent or eliminate one.
House-Invading Rodents Come In Two Forms
The two most common home-invading rodents are mice and rats, which are so common and similar that people often use the terms interchangeably. While they certainly attract the same types of problems, there are some key ways to tell mice apart from rats. To that end, here’s how you can spot the differences:
- Size: Mice typically only grow to a few inches in length, most of which is taken up by their long tails that trail behind them.
- Face: Mice have short snouts with snub noses. As with all rodents, they have large front incisor teeth.
- Ears: Mice have large, circular ears that rest directly atop their heads.
- Size: Rats can grow several inches in length and larger varieties can grow to a foot or more.
- Face: Rats have elongated, pointy faces that accentuate their sleek features. While mice are more round in appearance, rats are more elongated in shape thanks to their larger size.
- Ears: Rat ears sit further back on their skulls and have pinched ends that make them appear tucked.
The Dangers Of A Rodent Problem
Rodents in your home aren’t just a nuisance, they can cause direct harm to your property and health. Here are just some of the problems associated with a rodent infestation:
- Disease: Rodents spread some of the nastiest diseases out there, including salmonella, hantavirus, and plague.
- Damage: Mice and rats can damage walls, furniture, and electrical wiring with their incessant chewing. They can also damage household items by scratching with their claws and staining with their droppings.
- Proliferation: All of these problems are made worse by the fact that rodents can mature quickly and breed often. A small problem can quickly grow into a dangerous situation.
The Risks Of DIY Methods
Because a rodent problem can grow so quickly, it’s important to not waste time with ineffective methods. Unfortunately, many homeowners try to take care of the problem on their own, thinking that self-applied methods will get rid of a rodent infestation. Even if a store-bought or at-home solution manages to kill a few rodents, these methods likely won’t address the source of the problem. Only total elimination can prevent a rodent population from growing right back, and only the experts know how to thoroughly and appropriately apply solutions. Don’t make the mistake of turning to cheap, unproven solutions. These can not only create a false sense of security -- providing rodents with crucial time to hide and replenish their numbers -- they can wind up being a waste when you inevitably have to turn to professionals to eliminate the problem.
Safe & Effective Control From Pest-Pro Services, Inc.
Truly, the best course of action when dealing with rodent control is to partner with pest professionals. Pest-Pro Services, Inc. is your local resource for timely, effective rodent prevention and elimination. We can get started on an inspection of your property right away, providing peace of mind that a trained pair of eyes has determined whether pests are already a problem or soon to become one. Our expert staff can provide you with helpful tips to protect against future infestations, and if a rodent population has already moved in, we can get rid of it quickly.
Don’t let your home fall victim to the damage and destruction that rodents can cause, contact Pest-Pro Services, Inc. today.